Fixing points for sofa bed

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Matthew123456789
Caddy Fan

Fixing points for sofa bed

Post by Matthew123456789 »

Morning I've built up a sofa bed made of wood.the issue is it sits between the wheel arches and I cannot see anywhere to fix it in the sides. any ideas?

Thanks
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Fixing points for sofa bed

Post by Doc »

How about the load lashing points?
Those are quite solid and designed to hold a load.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
PeterAFox
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by PeterAFox »

I did something similar. I didn't fix it on the sides, but take the plastic strip off just behind / in front / on top of rear bumper off and use the two empty threads to bolt 10 mm bolts / brackets to fix the back end of bed.
The front ends I bolt through the back seat brackets after removing them.
In practice, you don't need to overthink it - I've been using it for years without any problems, sometimes I don't even bother to put the bolts in and had no problem - the weight on top keeps it stable. It makes it easier if you drive through Dover / Calais / Dunkirk - as they sometimes look for stowaways in France and want to have a look underneath.
I cut a mattress to fit and once this is in, you don't think about it.

Most serious thing to consider is the height / size of space underneath. Worth making it so that standard plastic boxes (like Ikea ones) fit underneath. Makes loading / unloading things and keeping organized on longer holidays much easier.
And if you want a 'portapotty' under a panel somewhere under the bed, worth getting the measurements first (I have a space for such and carry the portapotty around sometimes, but not used it yet (would have been better with more forethought). Sadly, I can only use the shower outside.
Matthew123456789
Caddy Fan

Post by Matthew123456789 »

Thanks guys I put the floor through the lashing points but I might double up with the bed as well. Great idea using the holes for the bumper I'll take a look

Thanks again