DSG 2014 caddy, loud rattle when idle and decelerating

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
LukeH
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

DSG 2014 caddy, loud rattle when idle and decelerating

Post by LukeH »

Hi guys I’m completely un mechanical and need help badly

Had any caddy 3 years it’s always been a good runner until sep last year. Done 86k miles. Had 3 injectors changed in last 3 months. And for a good 6/9 months had a loud ticking noise occasionally when idling, particularly when cold. Although now in last 1/2 months it’s got a lot worse ticking noise when idling and now it really rattles when let off accelerator and coasting down a slip road for example

I’ve had a mechanic look at it and suspected flywheel issue. Took it off and he said he can’t find any issue. Has suspected it’s something from either gearbox or clutch. My problem is I don’t have endless money to just keep throwing at the van in hope to find the issue.

Can anyone help with a likely problem and resolution? I’m happy to send photos and videos to clarify the noise. I’m really getting desperate now I’m screwed if the van blows up on me!!

Please help!!
Troll of North
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: DSG 2014 caddy, loud rattle when idle and decelerating

Post by Troll of North »

I have the same issue as you've described!

When the engine is started, the ticking starts, goes away when accelerating and appears when deaccelerating. After getting the engine warm the noise goes away briefly before starting to ticking again.

Only 200km since last oil change. Still ticking noise.

I suspect it could be oil pressure related or perhaps high pressure diesel pump?

I have expericed on older cars with manuel valve adjustment some similar gently knocking sound but not a so distinct ticking noise.

400.000 km on a 1.6l diesel with dsg gearbox.
LukeH
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by LukeH »

I’m having my clutch and flywheel replaced next week wil have to update then if that resolves it.

Everyone I’ve spoke to who has heard the noise has said it’s that

I bloody hope so!! A lot of money wasted if not haha
Davidmorris
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Davidmorris »

I have replaced a few dsg flywheels that would on inspection seem good but the noise was unmistakable so we're changed out and solved the issue .
LukeH
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by LukeH »

Hi davemorris

That’s promising to hear. It’s definitely a recognisable noise!! So embarrassing and worrying that my gearbox/ engine is going to blow up when I let off the accelerator and hear the noise click click click click!
LukeH
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by LukeH »

Davidmorris wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:16 pm I have replaced a few dsg flywheels that would on inspection seem good but the noise was unmistakable so we're changed out and solved the issue .

What is rough Cost? I’ve brought a clutch and flywheel off eBay and just getting a mechanic to fit. I’m assuming what 10 hours £600?