Broken Caddy!

Show off your caddy
Heaton002
Caddy2k Groupie

Broken Caddy!

Post by Heaton002 »

Hello all, I’m hoping someone with vastly more knowledge than I have can help me out with my caddy issue.

My 2014 SWB 1.6 TDI was running perfectly until around 10 days ago, when out of the blue whilst I was sat at idle the revs started bouncing and I could hear a relay clicking under the dash and it then cut out. The diesel management illuminated so I immediately thought one of those pesky injectors had died a death.
However, when I attempted a restart the MFD was telling me to depress the clutch pedal even though I had it hard to the floor.

As I was in my local Tesco car park I called the AA as I have breakdown cover, and once they arrived the guy had a good look around and a poke. Initially he couldn’t get it restarted and oddly enough the brake lights were latched on. There was also audible clicking from inside the body control module once the ignition was on.
After some more poking around he managed to get the van started by bypassing the A1 relay with two wires and a fuse and the van ran perfectly besides the diesel management light being on. It’s also worth saying the all the injectors were working as they should.

After getting the van home I ordered an OEM A1 relay from VW which once fitted solved the problem and everything was running perfectly. It wasn’t an exact part number match, as VW advised me that the original part had been superseded.
The elation of having a running van lasted for around 10/15 mins when the same fault came back and the van subsequently died. I bypassed the relay and the van started and I managed to get home.

Figuring I’d give it one more go I found the exact part No relay from a breaker which, again, once fitted ran perfectly for 10/15 mins until it died yet again with the same fault. However, this time when I came to bypass the relay the van still won’t start, telling me to depress the clutch along with the diesel management light and battery light lit on the dash as well as the brake lights latched on.

My knowledge is really quite limited, so I’m thinking I’m going to need an auto electrician to help bring my caddy back to life. If anyone has any ideas that I can look into, or know of any recommended auto electricians in the LE65 area it’d be very much appreciated.

Cheers Chris
Danbmwm3
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: Broken Caddy!

Post by Danbmwm3 »

Audi a3's had an issue where the control wire for A1 relay would break under the battery tray, unsure if this helps you as I'm not sure how similar the 2 vehicles are but I have heard of this before.

Someone with a wiring diagram will confirm for you possibly, il see if I can dig up the old post relating to it.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Norfolk vagcom services ;)
Heaton002
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: Broken Caddy!

Post by Heaton002 »

I will definitely have a look into it! I’m hoping it’s an easy fix 🤞🏼