Show off your caddy
stu_b
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Re: Mangrovejack's 2012 VW Caddy Maxi

Post by stu_b »

I forgot to ask
How much was the scuttle ?
I probably should change mine as it's looking a little like posh spice after a weekend on the lines

Any part numbers u can recall ?
mangrovejack
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by mangrovejack »

Do a search on eBay for "NEW GENUINE VW CADDY TOURAN 2009-2016 SOUND ABSORBER INSULATION FOR WATER BOX" and you'll find the one I bought from overseas. I paid $98 shipped but I see now it's a little lower at around $91 shipped. The seller is called lllparts.
mangrovejack
100BHP+

Post by mangrovejack »

And yep would be keen to setup a meet of some kind after Easter time for sure!
stu_b
Hyper Poster

Post by stu_b »

mangrovejack wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:51 am Do a search on eBay for "NEW GENUINE VW CADDY TOURAN 2009-2016 SOUND ABSORBER INSULATION FOR WATER BOX" and you'll find the one I bought from overseas. I paid $98 shipped but I see now it's a little lower at around $91 shipped. The seller is called lllparts.
MG
I had a look at that and it says it's item3 in the parts diagram
But it doesn't look like the right part ...
Do u recall the part nbr ?
mangrovejack
100BHP+

Post by mangrovejack »

I think it's showing the actual waterbox and sound proofing. Part number is correct though 1t0863993g.
stu_b
Hyper Poster

Post by stu_b »

Yeah so confusing
It looks like the top plastic moulding not the sound absorbing material piece ...
Need to be bang on esp at $90 smakos
Would be an expensive piece of art for the mantle piece otherwise
foghorn
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by foghorn »

Did you drive around in between noise insulation stages? I'm wondering which ones where most effective in reducing road noise.
mangrovejack
100BHP+

Post by mangrovejack »

Yes and no - For the front, I didn't really want to be putting it all back together to take it for a drive since it's a real hassle, but I added everything that I did from my past experience in the car audio world. This van being a camper had an extra set of priorities that I never had to worry about before, hence the extra insulation and thermolining. But overall its the system as a whole that makes the van more sound proof, not just any once single treatment.

For the rear, I did drive around between the various treatments but again, I couldn't say one particular treatment stood out as the main thing to do, it was the combination that slowly built up meant the van just got quieter each time.

From experience, butyl sound deadening does make a big difference, but mostly stopping panel resonance (or rather lowering its resonant frequency to a point that we don't hear it) rather than cutting sound.

Mass loaded vinyl is to me what cuts out a lot of sound, however it's heavy and somewhat hard to work with in that it doesn't conform as nicely as the butyl sound deadener.

The thermoliner probably does help cut out some higher frequency noise, but was added for the campervan aspect (ie to help control temperature inside). Similarly the polyester insulation wasn't really for sound, but for thermal.

But back to the van, after doing the front section of the van (that includes 1) spray foam first to fill in any empty areas, 2) butyl sound deadener, 3) mass loaded vinyl, 4) thermoliner, 5) polyester insulation where applicable - mostly centre console and behind dashboard, 6) factory jute and foam rubber, 7) factory rubber carpet, 8) Extra thick floor mats), to me the difference was night and day.

I've yet to do anything outside the van to cut noise. I have sound deadening spray and liquid that I will be applying inside the inner wheel wells at a later date which should help cut out road noise. I find the wheel wells are one of the noisiest parts of any car (hence why I really went to town on the rear inside wheel wells).

Interestingly one of my benchmarks for noise removal was whether I could hear fuel sloshing in the tank when I came to a stop as it was quite clear to hear when I first got the van due to it being bare metal in the back. After this system of sound/thermal treatment I can no longer hear it which is good! The cherry on top was the mattress put in the back cut out a huge amount of noise.

@foghorn - let me know if you have any further questions I can help you with.
stu_b
Hyper Poster

Post by stu_b »

All good info
I have really noticed the fuel sloshing around since I purchased my Caddy just recently and filled the tank up over the weekend... I was like, what the hell is that noise
So yeah, it's going to be on my list of things to do

On a slightly diff note, I put a post up for a Brisbane Crew meet up
I put it up in the Caddy Chat (18,000+ topics), Off Topic Chat (1,300+ topics) and also in the events section hoping to grab other members attention (we are such a small number of members in Australia and then narrowing that down to one city we kinda need all the exposure we can get so it's seen by other members ....)
but I think the other two got deleted 😔
Probably seem as spamming

Anyways, just hoping we can get a few members together to meet, have a coffee and swap some stories 😉
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

You’ve done a real good job of the conversation there mate. Bet you can’t wait to put it to use.

I’ve got proper cat envy too, she is a cutie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
mangrovejack
100BHP+

Post by mangrovejack »

Thanks mate, Yeah defnitely can't wait to get it the rest of it done actually as it's been a slow build (in between house renos, selling and moving). As it currently stands it's usable for short weekends, but not for its intended purpose just yet, especially with the drawer units not built.

She's a little rescue cat we got when she was a kitten and so she's been used to loud power tools etc and she's not scared of them when I'm working on the Caddy which is good!
Ellis667
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Ellis667 »

mangrovejack wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:24 am Small update - added the female USB port directly to the USB "button" via an ABS slurry. I was getting intermittent issues with the plug from the cheap yum-cha USB plug that was there from the Aliexpress button, so used the original Pioneer USB cable instead for no more problems.

Really interested in doing this. What blank do you need?

TIA
mangrovejack
100BHP+

Re: Mangrovejack's 2012 VW Caddy Maxi Camper

Post by mangrovejack »

I used a USB one from AliExpress. But as mentioned the cable that came from AliExpress was a bit crap as I wasn't getting a consistent connection all the time, so I removed all the plug and wiring and the female pioneer USB plug fit nicely in there.
stu_b
Hyper Poster

Post by stu_b »

Hey buddy
I'm not sure how we can connect as I'm not able to send PM's
Just a quickie, as we are fairly close proximity wise I thought I'd ask... I'm having a few fault codes on my dash, do u have / know anyone who has a vcds for reading faults ?
mangrovejack
100BHP+

Post by mangrovejack »

I have an obdeleven somewhere but since the move I cannot find it anywhere. I have a feeling it's been left in Canberra.

Sorry I don't know anyone else with one to be honest.