Rough 2010 Mk3

Show off your caddy
Krankey
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Rough 2010 Mk3

Post by Krankey »

So as my new members thread says I got 'given' a 2010 Mk3 Caddy which at this point feels like a monumental task to put right - https://www.caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2#p458012
This things been sat for a while and I was told it just needed 'some tyres and a new MAF sensor'.
I'm a big advocate for stopping something going to scrap if I can and as much as I joke there's nothing here which feels completely out the realms of fixable.

I'll let you make a judgement from the below pics put a list of what I know is wrong so far:

Look... it works for now ok :lol:

Oh yea, I know calm down everyone! She's a proper looker!

So what do I know that's wrong and what do I need info on.
This info might be in another part of the forum I don't have access to yet so feel free to link to those for me to look at later and give me a quick overview.
As I mentioned in my new member thread, I've come from the classic Mini community so I'm happy to hunt info for myself but very aware people have a wealth of knowledge.
  • It's got rust on every panel
  • 4 flat tyres - Theres 4 steelies in the back with fresh tyres on. These just need swapped
  • 4 stuck on brakes - Van now rolls but these need replaced and I need to see if the callipers are saveable. Aware these brakes were used on loads of other VWs is there a list or something of other cars I can look for when hunting cars being broken for parts so I can grab some cheap for now.
  • Doesn't go into 1st, 2nd, 5th or reverse - Sloppy is an understatement, bushings are completely shot as you can see in the pic. I can't seem to find a part number for the shifter assembly but was hoping there was a bushing and bearing rebuild kit for this. The issue with not going into gear appears to be at the gearbox end which I believe I can get to under the airbox? Any info on rebuild kit and getting to the gearbox end of the linkage would be appreciated.
  • Half the interior is missing, what is there has mold on and the handbrake is sticky - Again I've seen people doing Touran swaps etc. Is there a definitive list of what parts are a pretty much a straight swap so I can hunt for cars being broken.
  • Engines running a bit rough - unplugging the MAF it runs loads better so new MAF, fuel filter and a service I think this will be fine.
  • 1 light works (that includes all the rear lights)
  • The electronics are missing from the only key - Do I have to get this coded at a VW dealer/Auto locksmith or do I have other options
  • The central locking doesn't work when unlocking from the drivers door
  • The drivers side interior door opener doesn't work
  • The bonnet catch is more temperamental than an over tired toddler
  • The interior smells like someone tried to start a bonfire in a florists
Roughly as an order of things to do:
  • Swap wheels
  • Fix Shifting
  • Brake rebuild
  • General service
  • MOT check list
Once I know it's in a decent mechanical shape I'll do something about it looking like a murder van so if anyones selling some panels (preferably in the North East UK and white) feel free to drop me a message.

Let the laughing commence
Last edited by Krankey on Wed May 01, 2024 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
stu_b
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Re: Rough 2010 Mk3

Post by stu_b »

As per your other thread / my comment
She doesn't "look" too bad so that's a bonus
U might get some sympathy votes lol 😆😆

Congrats on the new car and welcome aboard
My hat goes off to you 🤠

Keep us updated with progress

Btw, surely you have a name for this beauty
Rags to riches
Rust to lust
Krankey
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Krankey »

stu_b wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:32 pm Btw, surely you have a name for this beauty
Rags to riches
Rust to lust
Feel like this should be picked by the community, post your best/worse names below.
stu_b
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by stu_b »

hahaaaaa
I think rust to lust !!!
not that there is much visible rust but it's a true reflection of the effort (like many) that you pour in to making this gem shine :)
kobat79
Caddy Fan

Post by kobat79 »

I didn't see much rust to be honest! Maybe "Moldy Gold" would be a better name :lol:

Congratulations on it. I totally agree with the instinct to save it, society is far too fond of throwing stuff away these days. Nothing I can see in the pics or have read in your description looks too daunting. I come from the aircooled VW world which is probably similar to your mini background in terms of the type of rust and other problems you'll encounter on classics, not to mention parts availability and cost. So in comparison your Caddy looks very salvageable. And just think how proud you'll be to have saved it from the scrapper!
snuffegull
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by snuffegull »

Doesnt look too bad! Good luck fixing er up!
Krankey
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Krankey »

Well now we know why it only has 3rd and 4th!

Despite the actual selector under it looking a bit ropey it goes into every gear by hand so thats a huge relief.
The videos I've seen on youtube there seems to be a metal version of this part.

Anyone know if that metal version is the same lever ratio etc and is a direct swap?
bladerunner
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by bladerunner »

Hey stu_b,

Thanks for the warm welcome and the chuckle! "Rags to riches" and "Rust to lust" are both fantastic suggestions for a name. They perfectly capture the transformation potential of this Mk3. I'll definitely keep you all updated on the progress. It's going to be quite the journey, but I'm excited to see where it leads.
Krankey
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Krankey »

So after a week of chasing parts we have gears, all the gears which is a huge relief - if this wasn't an easy fix this was going straight to the scrapyard.

There was a set of gold steelies in the back which had relatively new tyres on and hold air so I banged those on and christ, this things been lowered to the floor.
I've ordered a set of coil over spanners to adjust the front and at least raise it enough to get a jack under.
The rears been lowered and also looks to of had the axel flipped.

So next order of business now the thing moves and isn't just a giant inanimate lump of metal is brakes.

If anyone has a set of front and rear callipers they're selling of feel free to drop me a message.
The ones on here are beyond rotten and rather than argue with them I feel being able to stop is probably worth spending the money on.