BLS-ARL conversion.

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Mikeyp42
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

BLS-ARL conversion.

Post by Mikeyp42 »

Hi guys

Does anyone know what tool to use when locking the camshaft on transmission end, when swapping over the pulleys? I’m doing a bls - arl conversion next week and I’m just trying to get prepped for it. Cheers!!
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: BLS-ARL conversion.

Post by Doc »

You will need the VW crankshaft seal tool, there are a few variations by different manufacturers.
It's an expensive tool for a one off use, maybe you can borrow one or take your engine to someone who has one and have them fit the seal.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
BenT
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by BenT »

Normally you'd put a 5 mm drill bit through the cam sprocket/hub at the timing belt end to lock it in position, you'd then need a counterhold tool to allow you to loosen the sprocket bolt though. I'm not sure if the camshaft can be locked from the gearbox end, but it looks as though the locking tool for an ALH might do it with the tandem pump removed (it's a metal bar with a protruding tab that slots into the end of the cam, whilst the bar is held in place with 6 mm studs). Even so, these tools aren't suitable for the torque required to tighten/undo the sprocket bolt.

I'm not sure if your intention was to replace the crank seal, as Doc's suggested? Sorry if I've misunderstood.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Sorry, I totally misread the first post.
The crank seal tool will be of no use to hold the camshaft.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort