2011 1.6 tdi not starting after injector change

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Ricky302
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

2011 1.6 tdi not starting after injector change

Post by Ricky302 »

Hi everyone,

I sold my caddy to a friend last November and he's done 1000 miles and last month injector 3 went on it, he replaced it and and it ran for 10 seconds then died, it wouldn't start again and just cranks over, so suspecting an air lock we try bleeding the line by running the in-tank fuel pump for 3 minutes (like you would do if changing the fuel filter) but still no start, so, out comes the vacuum pump and, attach it to the return line from the HPFP to the filter, lots of air bubbles then a good flow of clear diesel, connect the line back to the filter and try to start it, nothing, just cranks over but still no start.

So we try a bump start on a tow, it starts but runs rough and will not rev, then dies, and won't start on the key again, just cranking over, I'm starting to run out of ideas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: 2011 1.6 tdi not starting after injector change

Post by Doc »

Try unplugging the injector you've replaced, it may be faulty and shorting out the ECU.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Ricky302
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Ricky302 »

All the injectors check out with the correct ohm reading, around 200K ohms.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Did you code the new injector in with vcds?
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Ricky302
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Ricky302 »

Yes, injector was coded, checked rail pressure today and it was 150 bar so half of what's needed to start, may have to check injector leak off to see if excessive, has anybody any other ideas?
BenT
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by BenT »

No offence intended whatsoever, but are you sure that both the new injector and the one it's clamped with are sealing properly in the head via the copper washers? If there's any blow-by past the seal it might be causing problems... I tried re-using a copper washer a few months back and the result was not good! Not suggesting you've done this of course. No way to detect it easily either, without taking them out again. Does it start and run with the new injector electrically disconnected? The engine should start and run on three cylinders, but not two.
Killomiter
Caddy Fan

Post by Killomiter »

If all else is good the BenT is on the money - leak of pressure or bad seal like the copper is placed sideways down the orifice or the like
Ricky302
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Ricky302 »

Thanks for the replies guys it wasn't me that replaced the faulty injector but my mate, the new owner, he said he replaced the copper washer with a new one and torqued the bolt to the correct setting, I'm calling round to his when the weather settles and we'll maybe take the injector back out and check it again.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Make sure there isn't 2 copper washers on it, the old one and the new one, it's more common than you think that the old one gets forgotten and left.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Ricky302
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Ricky302 »

Got it sorted 😁 turned out to be #4 injector stuck open, so rail pressure couldn't build up, replaced injector and it's now driving sweet, only problem now is noticed small crack in cam cover so that will have to be replaced πŸ˜• thanks for everyone's help.
SkyRocket1976
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by SkyRocket1976 »

Ricky302 wrote: ↑Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:35 pm Got it sorted 😁 turned out to be #4 injector stuck open, so rail pressure couldn't build up, replaced injector and it's now driving sweet, only problem now is noticed small crack in cam cover so that will have to be replaced πŸ˜• thanks for everyone's help.
Hi Ricky302,

Ancient thread revival but can I ask how you found out injector #4 was stuck open?

Having a similar issue and at a loss as to what to check next and how to check it.

Many thanks