Caddy radio not working

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Baztallica
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Caddy radio not working

Post by Baztallica »

Hi, I have an '08 Caddy 1.9tdi.
I've been slowly sorting things out with it (rear seats, bodywork etc) but I cannot for the life of me get the standard rcd300 radio to work.
I've checked the fuses (under steering wheel, back of radio and engine bay) and all is well, I've even managed to remove the headunit and get it to power up on another caddy.
I'm at a bit of a loss as to what else the cause could be and wondered if anyone else had experienced similar or had any advice on what else I could try to solve this?
As much as I'd planned to upgrade to something newer, as I can't get the original one to work then I'm reluctant to change to anything else. Using it without a radio is starting to get too much now :lol:

Many thanks,

Barri
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Caddy radio not working

Post by Doc »

Welcome to the forum Barri.
The radio should turn on/off with the ignition, this is done via a CANbus message rather than the old style ignition power wire method.
Check you have positive, negative and CANbus connections on the plug at the back of the radio.
Is there anything plugged in at the back, maybe a hands free harness or something else that's non standard equipment?
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Baztallica
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Baztallica »

Thanks for the reply Doc.

Apologies for the delay, I was away over the weekend.
I'll pull the radio later and see what I can find.
I'll try and get some photos too if I'm unsuccessful in having any luck.
Pretty sure from memory there wasn't anything non standard but I could be wrong.
I'll update with findings.

Barri
Baztallica
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Baztallica »

Removed the radio and everything looks to be pretty standard and how I'd expect :?:
Not sure if anyone can see something that I can't that would cause issue.

Hoping the picture links work.
https://postimg.cc/F1HcQqmF

https://postimg.cc/942RggJh

Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

Have you checked that positive, negative and CANbus connections are all good? All looks to be standard factory wiring.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Baztallica
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Baztallica »

Next step now Doc.

Never really had any radio issues before beyond plug and play with a little fettling.
The fact this didn't work from the time I got the van has made it that bit more of a job but hopefully I'll get somewhere.

Assuming testing can be done with a multimeter to try and pinpoint the issue?

Thank you again for responding
PeterAFox
200BHP+

Post by PeterAFox »

I have a 2005 1.9 tdi - strangely the radio fuses are 'extra' they are on some wires which hang down under / near the interior fuse box. My caddy came like that - I'd assumed that they made a mod during production or something like that
Baztallica
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Baztallica »

Thanks Peter.

I'll have a look around the fusebox area to see if there's something similar on mine.

I've been to all the usual spots hoping for a quick fix
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Those extra fuses are often found on the after market mk3 harness.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

Yea, hanging down fuses is not how VW will have left any vehicle from the factory. All factory fuses are in the fuse boxes either in the engine bay or cabin.
The fuse for the radio is in the engine bay.

Noel
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Noel »

Did this problem ever get solved I have purchased an after market xtron stero I have connected everything up but no power tried to put the factory stero back in that's not getting no power