Recomend someone to do an engine swap in West Midlands?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Fishtec
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Recomend someone to do an engine swap in West Midlands?

Post by Fishtec »

I'm after a 2.0 TFSI and 6 speed swap. I keep looking at tuning my 1.6 tdi but cost vs reward and reliability make it impractical. anyone recommend in the west mids?
2011 Maxi 102
Dirty & Start of a Project Mini Camper
Lister79
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Recomend someone to do an engine swap in West Midlands?

Post by Lister79 »

Unfortunately people doing these engine conversions properly and to an OE standard are few and far between. With the vast majority cutting corners by bodging (or adapting as they will put it) the original fuel system, which they will state is perfectly fine as they have done it X amount of times (which translated means, they have bodged X amount of vehicles).
The only place that was doing proper OE conversions in the midlands was Dubunit and Doc. However, due to people messing them around I don’t believe they bother doing them anymore.
People strangely don’t care about standards when they can save a few hundred quid, and as long as it “appears OE” once the loom tape is on, they aren’t fussed about it actually being so, with fuel filters P-clipped to the rear chassis (often above the exhaust).
Anyone you do make enquires with the first question I’d ask, is what they do with fuel system. Regardless of how many conversions they may have done, anyone who suggests or gives an option for converting the existing diesel tank/system are simply clueless in motor vehicle engineering practices, and are simply in it for taking your money. It says everything about the standard of their workmanship, which makes you question the conversions in their entirety, you can hide a lot of rubbish with loom tape!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Toffee Brown with EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSi (CJX) engine (417.5 BHP 545 Nm), Grinds/ABP air suspension and a few other mods :D
Build thread:
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36629
ToiletTFSI
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by ToiletTFSI »

Lister79 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:59 am Unfortunately people doing these engine conversions properly and to an OE standard are few and far between. With the vast majority cutting corners by bodging (or adapting as they will put it) the original fuel system, which they will state is perfectly fine as they have done it X amount of times (which translated means, they have bodged X amount of vehicles).
The only place that was doing proper OE conversions in the midlands was Dubunit and Doc. However, due to people messing them around I don’t believe they bother doing them anymore.
People strangely don’t care about standards when they can save a few hundred quid, and as long as it “appears OE” once the loom tape is on, they aren’t fussed about it actually being so, with fuel filters P-clipped to the rear chassis (often above the exhaust).
Anyone you do make enquires with the first question I’d ask, is what they do with fuel system. Regardless of how many conversions they may have done, anyone who suggests or gives an option for converting the existing diesel tank/system are simply clueless in motor vehicle engineering practices, and are simply in it for taking your money. It says everything about the standard of their workmanship, which makes you question the conversions in their entirety, you can hide a lot of rubbish with loom tape!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seconded - have seen first hand a caddy that had been professional converted by a company/individual doing the wiring part of the conversion:

1. 2 wires melted together which caused a small fire and rendered the vehicle immobile.
2. starter engaged whilst driving causing it to burn out
3. vagcom unable to talk properly to the engine
4. permanent fault codes which are 'part of doing a conversion'

That's just one conversion.
Fishtec
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Fishtec »

Lol thanks for replying gents. I actually feel a bit sad reading this but at the same time not suprised. Ive seen all sorts over the years with much simpler jobs. Back to the drawing board then
2011 Maxi 102
Dirty & Start of a Project Mini Camper