Best rear dampers for lowered Caddy

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
VanLife
Twin Turbo poster

Re: Best rear dampers for lowered Caddy

Post by VanLife »

I've just ordered the B8s for £295 delivered.

I'm hoping for a silky smooth ride!
Lister79
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Lister79 »

Nice one, looking forward to hearing your verdict.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Toffee Brown with EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSi (CJX) engine (417.5 BHP 545 Nm), Grinds/ABP air suspension and a few other mods :D
Build thread:
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36629
MattL87
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by MattL87 »

Got Meyle ones on the rear of mine and seems spot on.
2008 PD130 ASZ conversion
Hybrid turbo
Large S3 alloy intercooler
Narco mapped
VanLife
Twin Turbo poster

Post by VanLife »

Fitted the bilsteins this afternoon.

They're good but not amazing, not a huge improvement over the standard dampers (before they failed). Obviously the standard dampers are not designed for lowered vans so will eventually fail like mine did. The bilsteins are a good option for lowered vans as they are designed for the job and shouldn't fail.

They were not good enough to work with my air bags though, still too bumpy so I've removed the air bags for now. Going to try towing with the bilsteins next weekend to see how they are with the extra weight on the rear. With the standard dampers the rear used to bounce too much while towing.
Lister79
Hyper Poster

Post by Lister79 »

Try running less pressure in your bags, as too much will make them bounce. I only have 34psi in mine. You may need to make some spacers for under the bags to maintain the same ride height when loaded up.

2014 Toffee Brown with EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSi (CJX) engine (417.5 BHP 545 Nm), Grinds/ABP air suspension and a few other mods :D
Build thread:
VanLife
Twin Turbo poster

Post by VanLife »

Mine are only "helper" bags to raise the rear when loaded. To test it today I ran without any pressure in the bags (with the valves open) as I would usually have it when not loaded.
Lister79
Hyper Poster

Best rear dampers for lowered Caddy

Post by Lister79 »

The outcome will still be the same, as what you’re in effect doing with the helper bags is chocking the suspension (presume at mid point, above the axle). Therefore, by running a high pressure in the bags you’re preventing the springs from flexing as they are designed to do. Updated springs or double springs could be a another option to improve the ride.

Such as:

https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/ ... gIHSvD_BwE

Build thread:
caddychris2002
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by caddychris2002 »

Doc wrote:I'd stay clear of the Gaz, I've had my second set fail. They quoted me £190 to refurbish the first set which had the failed within warranty. I foolishly had bought a second set to keep me on the road thinking the failure was a once off.
Yep unfortunately following my previous comment mine have done the same. I have Koni on the rear now but looking to go BC all round I think eventually

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

www.dav-tec.co.uk
www.facebook.com/davteceng
Autowatch Ghost Installer
Mods:
145bhp map : Audi Q5 Seats, Polo Wing Mirrors, Touran R-Line rear bumper, Mk8 Golf Gti Front bumper, Sprayed in Honey Orange. Touran rear seat conversion, Bentley alloys, Stance plus coilover kit, caddy alltrak arch and skirt kit,mk7 golf gti steering wheel, Ghost immobiliser, Discover Media headunit, Kenwood underseat sub
VanLife
Twin Turbo poster

Post by VanLife »

I've had the B8s on for very nearly 18 months now. I'm very happy with them. The ride is good and no issues so far.
Eirecaddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Eirecaddy »

Current set needed replacing, unable source rear set for a lowered caddy so used standard banging like hammer on building site. Does anyone have part number for a decent set, having difficulty sorting them outside UK
Last edited by Eirecaddy on Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.