MTB Weekend Camper

Show off your caddy
MTBPhil
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

MTB Weekend Camper

Post by MTBPhil »

Bit of an impulse purchase, I've been watching van life videos for a few years and really wanting something for long weekends away with my mountain bike.

Saw this van on ebay and it was 10 minutes from my house so went for a test drive, 2 days later it was mine :D

Went for a bit of a test drive out with my bike and all my gear in it. Spot on, lovely and quiet.

Current spec :-

Vw caddy mk3 2k swb - 2005
1.9tdi pd105 bjb
Respray in tintable raptor coating using ral7011 (pure grey) full outside plus door shuts.
Remapped to 157hp & 323nm
6 speed swap with single mass clutch conversion
Bola b1r 225/45/17
Touran mk1 front end
Touran black front carpets
Touran electric windows
Touran cruise control and midline clocks
Double din with satnav
50mm lower using h&r front springs and darkside developments rear flip kit.
Darkside developments egr delete
Darkside developments boost gauge
Gaz adjustable rear dampers
H&R uprated rear anti roll bar
Maxton splitter
Cat back straight thru exhaust
Gte customs R line seat covers
Rear is fully set out as a mtb day van.
Mtb fork mounts x2
Laminated floor.
4 leds in ply head lining
gpaolo2kn
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: MTB Weekend Camper

Post by gpaolo2kn »

how did you fix the fork to the floor? congratulations for the realization
Toonez
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Toonez »

Looks good. What mounts did you get for the bike? Wanting to get something set up in the back of mine to carry couple of bikes.
MTBPhil
Caddy Fan

Post by MTBPhil »

These mounts were already installed when I got it -

Both fitted to metal plates - the rear one is on a metal box section that spans across to 2 OEM bolt holes either side. I'll try to get pics.

I have a very similar mount in my estate car though and got it from a company called MTBVans - https://www.mtbvans.co.uk/product-page/bike-fork-mount

They do a nice caddy rail aswell which I'll probably upgrade to as it makes it easier to slide the fork mounts around - https://www.mtbvans.co.uk/product-page/ ... t-rail-kit
MTBPhil
Caddy Fan

Post by MTBPhil »

Quick update

I took the bench/bed/storage box out and chopped 4" off the bottom of it.
The previous owner was shorter than me and made it so a full sized cooler box would fit in - I wanted some more headroom so it's comfier to sit in and have a cup of tea :D

Much better!
Just waiting on some spray glue to turn up in the post to retrim the carpet and stick it back on.

Also had an exciting delivery first thing this morning

Audi A1 S-Line interior from a 2011 car.
Really nice condition. I don't need the door cards or rear bench but the online breakers wouldn't split, so going to sell them on.

Just waiting for amazon to deliver my spline socket and will get them fitted :D
MTBPhil
Caddy Fan

Post by MTBPhil »

Few updates.

Got the A1 S-Line seats in.

Took a bit of time to sound deaden the storage area behind the seats - spot on now, quieter and the seats are soooo much more comfy than the standard ones.
Easy job as well! Straight onto the caddy bases.

Then things went worse...

I've been having a problem with the heater not blowing any warm air till about 15 minutes into a drive, and then only very slightly warm.
As I drive it then goes cold,warm,cold,warm etc... which was annoying!

I decided to swap the heater core out as it was only £40 for a replacement.
Then decided if I was going to do that I'd do a touran dashboard swap so it matched the touran electric window door cards already fitted.

I read a few guides that said a few hours work - took me 6 hours and still wasn't all back together :(

I got a new Android 10 headunit too but no pics yet as trying to do the dash conversion in the dark and 2c annoyed me too much :lol:

The old heater core looked pretty badly clogged up, tried to flush it through but it didn't flow too well. So I had high hopes this would fix it.

Then Sunday I went for a drive with half the dash back in, the new heater core in. It got hot much quicker, defrosted the window easier.
Long drive down M62 and it was red hot, actually had to turn the heater down.... great stuff - until 30 minutes into the drive the heater went cold again and the engine temp (through ODB) started climbing up to 106c.... it sat there for a while then dropped to 92c and the hot air came back - rinse and repeat.

I really don't know what's wrong with it. It's had a new rad and rad flush apparently.
I've got a thermostat on order.

I was reading a lot of horror stories about head gaskets last night, hope it's not that. The hoses aren't pressurised after a drive though and there's only a very slight amount of pressure in the expansion tank when you open it when hot. After it's cooled down there's no pressure at all.

Fingers crossed it's just the thermostat though it doesn't seem to behave like a dead thermostat.
MTBPhil
Caddy Fan

Post by MTBPhil »

Oh and just to add my drive yesterday was too a bike park.

When I got there I went to top the coolant up and realised I'd not refitted the bonnet release lever after rushing around in the dark trying to get the dashboard swap completed DOH

Then I had a big off on my MTB, landed on my head and face, got a bit of concussion DOH

Then on the way home a lorry threw a stone up and put a big chip in my completely immaculate original windscreen DOUBLE DOH

Some days it's better to just stay in bed :roll: :lol:
Cooney28
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Cooney28 »

Vans looking great, thinking of doing a similar thing. Debating if I need a maxi for camping ? How do you get on sleeping in the back ?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

MTBPhil
Caddy Fan

Post by MTBPhil »

Not sure yet - not tried it till weather warms up
I've had a lay in it and it's not bad as the bed extends a bit

A T5 or sprinter would be better if I was going for a week away but for a night or two and for the budget I think it's ideal
Last edited by Giddy on Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote of previous post
MTBPhil
Caddy Fan

Post by MTBPhil »

So this didn't go too well.... :roll:

The cold heater blower continued after changing the heater matrix, flushing with fresh coolant and doing a thermostat swap
It was ok on the driveway but under load went cold - then the engine started slightly overheating and it was losing coolant

After reading up I feared head gasket so today I took the head off...

It's been blowing slightly into the coolant pathways on cylinder 3... but sadly the head is toast too.

Someone at some point has ran it with no coolant or used some rad weld

It's also been bodged by the garage who did the waterpump for previous owner - bolts missing from inlet manifold, bolt snapped in crank pulley...

Owned it for a week and it's turned into a nightmare. Test drove fine too! :(
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Not a good start. Looks like the coolant bottle has had some troubles too, maybe pressurising due to the gasket failure.
Fair play for ripping into it.
What's your plan now your had it apart?
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Mort1414
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Mort1414 »

Unlucky that, hopefully that’s the end of your issues.

Some great work though similar layout to what I’m after once I find a van.
MTBPhil
Caddy Fan

Post by MTBPhil »

@Doc
Yeah that’s what has happened.

Heater worked fine and temp was fine at idle and slow speeds. Get it under load on the motorway and the heater went cold (air lock in heater matrix from pressurised coolant) and it starts pushing coolant out the expansion tank.

I’ve just ordered a timing belt and water pump kit. Gates one.
PD150 head bolts, MLS head gasket, head set. And going to grab a 2nd hand head in a lot better condition than mine on Monday.

Will check it’s not warped and chuck it on. Fingers crossed it’s all sorted then I can carry on with the Touran dash conversion.

I might throw new valve stem seals in while it’s off.

Need to replace the glow plug wiring loom too as there’s an error code for a faulty connector.

Also started writing a reversing camera in and I need to get some carpet to finish trimming some stuff in the back. She should be good then.

At least it failed now rather than up some Scottish mountain in summer 😂
Last edited by Giddy on Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote
sewi
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by sewi »

Respect fot tackling this I wold be devastated if mine went engine woes after buying it. Well I guess every caddy has issues if her own afrer 10+ years.
Out of curiosity do you plan to swap a cluster for maxdot? I love mind and somehow can't stand that red display. Non 3d cluster is not even expensive so why not?
MTBPhil
Caddy Fan

Post by MTBPhil »

sewi wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:36 am Respect fot tackling this I wold be devastated if mine went engine woes after buying it. Well I guess every caddy has issues if her own afrer 10+ years.
Out of curiosity do you plan to swap a cluster for maxdot? I love mind and somehow can't stand that red display. Non 3d cluster is not even expensive so why not?
I don’t know if that’s an option on a van as old as mine.
Would be nice though as some of the backlight has died on that red display