Mad Max-i

Show off your caddy
MicronDan
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Mad Max-i

Post by MicronDan »

Not long had my maxi, purchased after owning a swb and wanting abit more space to house my MTB and more than 2 people. The mods have already begun and I’m pretty sure I wont be able to recognise it before longImage

The van is a very basic spec with lowline clocks etc but I having already started on improving that Image The original seats were awful i have touran fronts to go in and I might do something with the rear seats also as I like the idea of having them modular like the touran.

The plan is to make the van a lot more comfortable for long journeys and possibly design a bed that will work with the rear seats folded down.

I’ve already fitted Highline clocks, cruise control and a leather multi function wheel. I also fitted a chrome headlight switch and have some tt vents ready to go in along with aluminium heater dials.

I also fitted the touran seats and bases from my old caddy. The van already feels miles better, transformed the cockpit completely!

Next Job is to fit the electric windows/ doorcards and touran centre console with armrest. This is should further improve the cockpit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tum-yeto
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: Mad Maxi

Post by Tum-yeto »

Nice dude, when you say “not had it long” what do you mean? Cause that looks like my idea of a couple months down the line but am guessing that’s a couple days in most folk on here’s eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MicronDan
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by MicronDan »

I’ve had it a few weeks now. I had some parts from the other caddy and I was itching to get started. I can already see this turning into a long term project, let’s see where it goes
Last edited by Doc on Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post.
MicronDan
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by MicronDan »

So spent most of yesterday fitting the touran doorcards and window mechs. Quite simple to do and only requires a 12v permanent feed from the glovebox to the yellow/red wire at pin 20 of your door connector. I purchased a loom from ebay as it’s easier than making it myself, and for the sake of £20 I’m happy to pay it Image

Started off okay, had a small issue releasing the white plastic component that slots into the lock mechanism but it soon freed up.

Door stripped down and liberal brake cleaner used on the insides of the door skin. I needed a clean surface to apply the sound deadening.

I plan to reduce cabin noise and increase acoustics. With the van being so long and combined with its lack of insulation it can quite loud. I’m using aluminium foiled butyl on single skinned panels and plan to purchase some foam insulation for the back. It’s seemed to have made an improvement already and that’s just the doors. It should be a nice place to be once complete.

A picture of the mech all fitted. I’m going to put my vibe speakers in at a later date but the speakers in the new mechs are awful! So that may happen much sooner than later.

I had to cut the Touran door cards to match the caddy as there slightly different at the mirror end. I did this by using a piece of paper as template and trimming the door card with a dremel. It worked well and after a dress with a file it came up great. Unfortunately I didn’t take any photos as it was getting on.

A picture of the fuse position I choose (the double yellow/red wire on the left) .

I had a bit of trouble with getting the central locking to work which had me worried the window modules were incorrect... This turned out to be a dodgy door switch which I swapped for one I had spare. All working now, including window close/open holding the lock/unlock button on the fob.

No more keep fit windows! Proper buzzing with this one as my last caddy didn’t have electric windows either, so it been a long time coming Image

I’d like to get electric heated mirrors working in the future and may look into Touran mirrors. I’d also like to use the fuel flap button on the Touran door card. It’d be cool to have it lock on the central locking. Some googling required.....

All in all and easy mod. I didn’t have any how-to’s to go off and I managed okay.

Next job it to fit my touran centre console and/or sort out these awful speakers Image I want to add some tweeters as well as they have nothing stock.
MicronDan
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: Mad Max-i

Post by MicronDan »

Going to tackle the armrest centre console tomorrow. Had a look on Elsawin last night and it looks like a right graft! Hopefully it goes smoothly Image

Meanwhile my chrome window switches turned up today, petty really but it’s the little details that makes all the difference.

Really need to do something with the trim but I can’t decide between painting, wrapping or hydro dipping Image
MicronDan
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by MicronDan »

So Saturday was a busy day. Tackled the touran armrest and managed to fit the reverse camera I bought on recommendation from here.

Elsawin made the job a breeze, all though the seats had be removed.... again!!!

While I was there I ran some 2.5mm2 wire which will power the rear 12v socket as well as some usbs I’m fitting in the storage compartment. I plan to get the rear vents working but I’m missing some ducting from touran which I’ll need to source.

The armrest is a great mod and compliments the rest of the trim I’ve fitted. A keen eye will notice I fitted my chrome heater dials. Just waiting on some tt vent adaptors to complete the look.

I had some spare time so I thought I best tackle the reversing camera. It was abit of fiddle to get it to fit bang on in the centre of the door but I’m happy with the results.

The hardest part was running the wire through the oem cable boot and through one of the grommets in the body. I’ve tested the camera and I’m really happy with the results. I’ve left it disconnected for now as I need to run some wiring into the back and will tie it all in then.

More pictures to follow when I get the chance.

I also managed to get my headunit to work with the steering wheel controls ! This ones been bugging me for ages but after a faf with the ‘steering learn’ function I’ve got volume, skip,mute and answer call functions working. My only gripe is it displays a radio frequency instead of the track names on the dash Image

It’s coming together! I’m itching to get stuck into the rear of the van but I’m trying to source some touran seats before I start.

On a little side note, Bertha did some work this Sunday. Her first tip run!

IainH91
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by IainH91 »

Looks good. I am looking at the touran window conversion but getting the window modules correct makes me nervous!

Need to sort the touran arm rest too!
Bigdidz22
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Bigdidz22 »

Hi chum
What year is your caddy. And what did you do for your clock upgrade 🤔 it looks class 👌
jason robinson hrm
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by jason robinson hrm »

hi can you help me with the loom for the perm feed for the electric windows as I can fid it on eBay..thanks
Mort1414
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Mort1414 »

Sound like a very similar plan to my build re comfort, 5 seater working with a bed and get the bikes in the back.

Great work so far interested to see how this turns out.
Irish-si
100BHP+

Post by Irish-si »

Following 👌
adam6000
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by adam6000 »

Windows working as should be?

I remember I was strogle to sort out main....a few years ago