Covid caddy project

Show off your caddy
fishynos72
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Re: Covid caddy project

Post by fishynos72 »

Arrived today, bit of an impulse purchase. Manual steering wheels aren't very common in good condition.

So who else does mods before maintenance? :D

Also ordered a new shift weight from VW as mine was so very flogged out, hoping this makes 2nd and 4th more certain.
Last edited by fishynos72 on Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
How many is too many Volkswagens?
ACalamita
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by ACalamita »

I usually do... :D

However, with the Caddy, the practical stuff is coming first... I do want a new steering wheel though ;)
Phillstine
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Phillstine »

MY 2005 is screaming out for a wheel that doesn't look horrendous, but also not like the Mk5 the Mk6 seems the perfect match. Looks brilliant!

I'd be keen to see what it takes to get it all up and running! Definitely on my need list!
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

ACalamita wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:24 am I usually do... :D

However, with the Caddy, the practical stuff is coming first... I do want a new steering wheel though ;)

My problem is I try to justify it.

The original wheel was damaged and "probably wouldn't pass roadworthy inspection".

So basically I was left with no choice 🤣

Phillstine wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:40 am MY 2005 is screaming out for a wheel that doesn't look horrendous, but also not like the Mk5 the Mk6 seems the perfect match. Looks brilliant!

I'd be keen to see what it takes to get it all up and running! Definitely on my need list!

Thanks. I've previously fitted the DSG version of this wheel into my 06 golf.

Basically along with airbag and wheel. Depending what's fitted to your car from the factory you'll need to check the following.

What clockspring (slipping) part number you have fitted.
What steering column control module part number you have fitted.
What wiper and indicator stalks your vehicle had fitted

I'll post minimum requirements part numbers below.

Once you've it all fitted, you'll need vcds to code it all.
Depending what radio and instrument cluster you have fitted will also determine what features you can access
Phillstine
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Phillstine »

Oh brilliant thank you!

I've coded & retrofitted a lot for BMW's so the work wont be the hard part just finding out all the variations, seemS VAG have a lot more than BMW, not to mention VAG part numbers are a nightmare!

I know my Van has NAV/Electric Windows and a fullish looking cluster, but not cruise control! Maybe I'll pick your brains when you're done.

With that being said I want to ideally update the Nav to a new car play and reverse camera one (OEM if possible) and updated to the 3D white cluster) and that's just the surface of what i can see. not to mention the mk4 dash and door card swap :oops:
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Phillstine wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:47 pm Oh brilliant thank you!

I've coded & retrofitted a lot for BMW's so the work wont be the hard part just finding out all the variations, seemS VAG have a lot more than BMW, not to mention VAG part numbers are a nightmare!

I know my Van has NAV/Electric Windows and a fullish looking cluster, but not cruise control! Maybe I'll pick your brains when you're done.

With that being said I want to ideally update the Nav to a new car play and reverse camera one (OEM if possible) and updated to the 3D white cluster) and that's just the surface of what i can see. not to mention the mk4 dash and door card swap :oops:

I'll do my best to help where I have the knowledge or experience. Outside of that I won't subject you to being a guinea pig. There's a few how to guides on this forum detailing retrofits such as the cruise control.

So for the steering wheel i went off the following part numbers for when I did this in my mk5 golf without a problem. I'll be doing the same for the caddy.

The column control module number required for the use of the MK6 MFSW is: 1K0953549CH

Cruise stalks need to be along the lines of
1K5953521AK and 1K5953502K

Now the clockspring (slipping) numbers are a little more muddled. Because I've read you need 5K0953569BG or newer. In my golf I used 1k0 959 653C and it's been perfect. But my 3d colour cluster may have some influence on what works and what doesn't. My caddy on the other hand has the most basic cluster possible in a caddy. No MFD and no coolant guage. I'm sure I'll run into issues with that in future.

I'd love a full height white MFD cluster as that seems to be in the realm of possibility with my current ABS setup. If I go colour cluster I'll have the same issues I did with my golf
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

More boring but necessary things this weekend.

Rear quarter card was bending out of shape because of how awfully the tow plug wiring was 'professionally installed' by a well known shop for the previous owner.

Yup scotch locks definitely scream 'profession install' to me :roll: :roll: :mad: :mad:

So now they're soldered in and cloth tape wrapped as per original VW wiring

Even better is the quarter card fits as it should now, no bulge.
I've a later set of grey cards lined up for collection next week. They'll improve the interior space a lot, that's until I decide to embark upon a 4-way-stretch adventure.
Last edited by fishynos72 on Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Love a delivery

It's going to be like a rat with a gold tooth once I install it. Hopefully resolves the sloppy shifter feel and poor selection of second and forth.

Here's the "gold tooth" money shot

Last edited by fishynos72 on Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Did some shopping yesterday.
$100 for the lot. I priced just the rear cargo mat with Volkswagen and had a heart attack, so this was a much better option.

Out with the old brown shoe colour and in with the new. In Australia it seems the brown was a one year only thing Volkswagen did, Even has its own special colour name on their system.

I'm betting it's the first time since it left the factory that the panel has been off.

Soooo much better grey, matching clips and all. Just the rear barn door cards and the LHR 1/4 card and it'll all match

Then we go from this

To this

Very happy with the morning's work.

My new column module should arrive this week, meaning the MK6 MFSW can be finished up, and the mechanical rebuild will start this coming weekend. Busy busy busy. All this work and parts just to get it back to a complete stock state. :roll: :lol:
HicksyOz
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by HicksyOz »

That rubber mat is $250 or something silly isn't it?

I'm doing Sound deadening, timber, another thinner layer of foam and carpet to mine and it will still cost less!!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

1.4 TSI220 SWB Caddy MY20
2.0 162TSI Tiguan Wolfsburg MY19
2008 Yamaha R6
Cervelo S5 Disc DA 9170 (For any bike riders)
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

HicksyOz wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:15 am That rubber mat is $250 or something silly isn't it?

I'm doing Sound deadening, timber, another thinner layer of foam and carpet to mine and it will still cost less!!

Pretty sure it was around $400 at trade price. Completely over the top.

I just needed to hide the glue covered floor, it was doing my head in. Now that the scratched paintwork inside is the eyesore, I'll probably end up carpeting the van sooner than I expected. If I make it too nice then I wont use it for the reason I bought it.

I'm keen to get my hands of a set of these too. would really improve the back end of the interior.

https://www.vanstyle.co.uk/van/textured ... -7370.html
HicksyOz
Caddy Fan

Post by HicksyOz »

@fishynos72
Must have been a bit cheaper when you order it with the new van, either way its till crazy for some rubber!!

I haven't got to the floor yet but I've sound deadened the sides and the roof and finished carpeting the drivers side today.

All up, for probably with too much materials (better than not enough!!) doing the back is costing me around $850 I think. Money well spent for a quiet drive and looks awesome as well! Will get some photos up on my build thread of it soon.
2008 Yamaha R6
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Definitely want to hit mine with the sound deadening stick. Seriously considering a sealer bulkhead/ cargo barrier to get the noise down even further.

Might drive it for a while before making such decisions
Last edited by Doc on Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post
HicksyOz
Caddy Fan

Post by HicksyOz »

@fishynos72 I got all of my stuff through Car Builders, quite reasonable prices. My suspension dramas haven't been sorted yet but I had a short drive today to get the windows tinted, I can definitely notice a big difference and that's without anything on the floor yet.

2008 Yamaha R6
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

HicksyOz wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:32 am @fishynos72 I got all of my stuff through Car Builders, quite reasonable prices. My suspension dramas haven't been sorted yet but I had a short drive today to get the windows tinted, I can definitely notice a big difference and that's without anything on the floor yet.

Ahh excellent. I was looking to use car builders for the 4 way strech carpet.

I read your thread and saw your lowering issues. I've no experience with the caddy rear axle kits so I can't weigh in. Clearly something isn't right