Carpet and ply lining

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
R.a.knell
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Carpet and ply lining

Post by R.a.knell »

Hi all, we have just got an ex BG caddy maxi. I have bought a ply lining kit and 4 way stretch carpet with high temp glue.
I have been getting lots of conflicting information and was just looking to see what other had done.
I like the look of fully carpeted, putting the ply in first then carpeting over the top. Looks clean and covers all the metal work but others are saying to carpet the ply first, fit then go over any remaining metal work as it is easier to handle. I intend to do the sides, doors and roof and have 22sqm of stretch carpet (11x2m). I have got some vynl for the floor.
Any advise and pictures of the back of other peoples vans welcomed!
Thanks
Rob
Lister79
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Carpet and ply lining

Post by Lister79 »

Hi welcome to the forum. I’d personally test fit the ply mark the sections of metal you want to cover, remove the ply and carpet it, carpet the previously marked metal work and then refit the carpeted ply. I wouldn’t carpet over ply when fitted as you many want/need to remove it in the future. Mine isn’t full ply, but I’ve added a photo to show other options. I’ve used the original lower boards and fit ply pieces in the recesses to mitigate possible outwards dents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Toffee Brown with EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSi (CJX) engine (417.5 BHP 545 Nm), Grinds/ABP air suspension and a few other mods :D
Build thread:
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36629
R.a.knell
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by R.a.knell »

Thanks, looks smart, how did you attch you ply? If screwed how did you hide them?
Jono1
200BHP+

Post by Jono1 »

I used 8mm fir tree clips, cut your ply to shape drill out for the clips and put them in the ply, then carpet straight over it . You can see a slight bump off the clip head but only if your looking for it.
Lister79
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Lister79 »

As @Jono1 I’ve used hidden clips for the lower sections. The upper ones are screwed in place with countersunk screws, I cut small slits in the carpet then using a pick carefully pulled the carpet over the screw heads. Headlining is a mixture of both methods.

2014 Toffee Brown with EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSi (CJX) engine (417.5 BHP 545 Nm), Grinds/ABP air suspension and a few other mods :D
Build thread:
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36629
Lockstock
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Lockstock »

I carpeted my bulkhead and rear footwells in situ yesterday. I think if you have the option to carpet the exposed metal, then pre carpet the ply and fit, it will be easier to get a good finish. The 4 way stretch carpet is forgiving, but the more sections you can divide it into, and hide the section edges, the easier it will be to get a wrinkle free finish on the compound curves 👍
R.a.knell
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by R.a.knell »

Thanks all, i have an abundance of nuber plate screw caps so that might look pretty smart to hide screws, certainly on the headlining!
R.a.knell
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by R.a.knell »

All done, really happy with how it turned out. I ended up making a new ply headlining as the old fibreboard was warped.
Screenshot_20220220-205522_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220220-205452_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220220-205522_Gallery.jpg
Attachments
Screenshot_20220220-205855_Gallery.jpg
Eclipse Custom Vans
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Eclipse Custom Vans »

good job :D
REVO Authorised Dealer, REIMO 3000 track seating, Flatpack kits, Bilstein B14, KW ST-X and Stance+ dealer, SCA, RIB, REIMO, Conversions, CNC Furniture, Kombi, Upholstery and more

info@eclipsecustomcampers.com
www.eclipsecustomcampers.com
https://www.instagram.com/eclipsecustomvans - INSTAGRAM
https://www.facebook.com/EclipseCustomVans - FACEBOOK
R.a.knell
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by R.a.knell »

Cheers really happy with it :D
Jonhall
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Jonhall »

I did the panels separately, and used the fir tree clips that someone else mentioned. Same for the headliner (bit of a faff as I needed a full sheet of 3.6mm ply to make it in one piece!)

Did all the metalwork first and then fixed the panels into place. Also carpet wrapped the sides from the bulkhead to trim the B pillars.

Had to hide a couple of joins on the ‘arch’ around the tailgate opening, but after letting the glue dry and brushing over the joins with a stiff brush you honestly can’t see them Image Pics taken pre-brushing.

MkIV (2017) Caddy Maxi Highline 2.0TDi 150bhp DSG
R.a.knell
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by R.a.knell »

Looks great, I had the same thing with the headlining but did just manage to get the 8x4 board in the back, carpeting really does make a huge difference, I had to lower the quality of the pics in order to attach them unfortunately.
Jonhall
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Carpet and ply lining

Post by Jonhall »

Yeah I’m glad I took the bulkhead out before I went shopping for plywood

Your carpeted bulkhead looks great though! Must help keep the road noise down too?

MkIV (2017) Caddy Maxi Highline 2.0TDi 150bhp DSG
R.a.knell
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by R.a.knell »

It does make a big difference in noise, i wasnt going to do it but when i had enough carpet left over i thought why not? It was the most awkward bit to do though!
Willhughes1997
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Willhughes1997 »

Just done mine. Carpeted the exposed metal around the rear door and then carpeted the individual panels from the kit I bought from Edgcumbe. Didn't go OTT with the carpet and happy with how it's come out. Just need to make 2peices of ply and wrap it to fill the section above the sliding doors. Also didn't do the whole rear door as they'll be open alot of the time and don't want them to be sopping wetImageImage

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk