Diesel smell after being sat

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
bulli26314
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Diesel smell after being sat

Post by bulli26314 »

Hi all,

Just looking for some pointers or advice.

I have a 2014 caddy maxi 1.6 tdi. Bought it only a few days ago and it has 3 months warranty (Hence wanting to start this investigation early)

Also i think i am being over paranoid but we'll see.....

So when i get it the van after its been sat for a while (Over night or during the day whilst i'm at work) there is a smell of diesel, Nothing over powering but it is there. Start the van and with the blowers on there is no further smell....

Had this a couple of days so today once id driven home i took a look under the bonnet and noticed pooling of liquid around the two right hand injectors (Where they meet the top of the block) Now i can't get a finger in close enough to smell said liquid and i plan to take some pipes off on Saturday to have a closer look but i just wondered if anyone has had similar or any advice on things to check/do.

Id rather go not have to go back to the dealer but if i need to then i want to make the most of the 3 months warranty and have a fist full of information when i do. so any help is accepted and appreciated

TIA

Paul
Paul
2014 Caddy Maxi 1.6Tdi (Currently Standard)
Dislexicdonkey
200BHP+

Re: Diesel smell after being sat

Post by Dislexicdonkey »

Hi, this may sound a little odd, but just recently at the Bodyshop we’ve had a few vag group cars with fuel leaks, only on these vehicles.
When we investigated it we found we had a mouse problem, apparently vag cars use a specific fuel pipe that’s “plant based” (not sure how true this is) but the mice have seen this as a free mealtime.

They only chew the last of the fuel pipes closest to the block so may be worth checking there, some have been very small chewing but still enough for there to be a leak and it absolutely stinks!

Rentokill sadly have been deployed and now we seem to be all ok
bulli26314
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by bulli26314 »

Like every little helps.

I will check all hoses for "chew marks"
Paul
Geek2125
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Geek2125 »

Is there any blue smoke visible when starting the engine ?
bulli26314
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by bulli26314 »

Not that I have seen but will check
Paul