Window tints

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Wrightshot
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Window tints

Post by Wrightshot »

Who has their windows tinted and what percentage are the side ones? Pics would be good with the percentage if you could? And is it easy to d yourself?
Pinnacle100
Caddy Fan

Re: Window tints

Post by Pinnacle100 »

Here’s a couple of pictures of my old van with 45% on the front windows and for comparison if you look at the front quarter windows there is no tint applied to them.

45% is darker than you should go on front windows though. I never had any problems with police or MOT neither has the current owner of the van that’s not to say it’s legal though because it’s not it’s just your luck.

I think the legal requirement is 70% visible light transmission and your windows will already have a very slight tint .
The lower the tint % the darker the tint is so to give you an idea “limo black” would be around 5% depending on the film manufacturer.
Rear windows you can go as dark as you like even cover them up if you want.
With regards to doing them yourself I would say no it’s a lot harder than it looks . By the time you buy the film and tools you won’t be saving a huge amount of money than just getting them done professionally in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

I've tinted a few of my cars in the early days, easy to do but not easy to get them perfect,
I'm sure there's plenty of YouTube videos showing how to do it and even 30 years ago you could buy ready cut film so I'm sure you can now,
Don't know the price of someone doing it for you but for a perfect no bubble result it's got to be worth paying a bit more.
That said I'm going to lightly smoke my front quarter glass myself,
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Pinnacle100
Caddy Fan

Post by Pinnacle100 »

Good point scoobysrt . It’s not incredibly difficult to do yourself after watching a few videos and taking your time when installing but it is very difficult for someone with little or no experience to get close to a professional level finish . If you want a near perfect tint definitely pay to get it done . I know prices in my area for those windows are between £40-£60 per window
If you don’t mind the tints being a bit rough around the edges give it a go and enjoy the satisfaction of doing it yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wrightshot
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Wrightshot »

Thanks guys, I may have a go myself. Another issue first though with the oil pressure light coming on :( :(
Mort1414
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Mort1414 »

Interested to hear how you get on with the tints yourself I tried it years ago a failed but it’s just long enough ago for me to be contemplating another try, instead getting a pro in.