upgrade headlghts

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Garthy
Caddy Fan

upgrade headlghts

Post by Garthy »

hi, I have a 19 caddy life with halogen lights ,H4 bulb, and they are rubbish. can I retrofit xenon or LED units not just bulbs?
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Re: upgrade headlghts

Post by Scoobysrt »

I think led ones are an mot failure now but you'll have to look it up to confirm.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Drewcole
100BHP+

Post by Drewcole »

Fitting anything like LED of xenon without the rest of the kit that would have come with them is a failure.

For LED the standard headlight reflectors do bounce the light all over the place, which is why you see a lot of glare from oncoming cars that have them retro fitted, which also means you aren't getting the light onto the road where you need it. You can buy Philips ones that have tired to fix this, with lenses over the LED chips to direct the output, I have tried these and they still weren’t overly good.

Fitting Xenon without auto levellers and washer systems will fail the MOT and to fit them is pretty expensive.

Your best bet would be to get a really good set of lamps that have a higher colour temp output.
anoneamus
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by anoneamus »

Garthy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:06 pm hi, I have a 19 caddy life with halogen lights ,H4 bulb, and they are rubbish. can I retrofit xenon or LED units not just bulbs?
If that "19" is 2019, then you can retrofit the OEM Xenon lights. They aren't as bright (25W vs 35W) as the previous model, but the lower power makes them able to pass regulations without auto-levelling etc. necessary. They are pretty much plug and play (with some coding changes). Look at the many threads on the topic on the forum.
Garthy
Caddy Fan

Post by Garthy »

hi, tthank you. I'm trying to get my thread count up so i can look in the right place. yes it is a 2019
will the lower rated xenoin still be good?
Garthy
Caddy Fan

Post by Garthy »

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/hella/9156979 these come with levelling but still need lots of research
petrev
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by petrev »

LHD
:!:
Ripley55
Hyper Poster

Post by Ripley55 »

Hi @Garthy
A lot of us have gone Bi Xenon, Mine's a 2018, and I've got the upgrade, standard 25w lamps, and more than happy at the moment. I have also bought a set of 35w lamps and the Ballasts, so could upgrade the upgrade if needs be :D you don't need levelling it wasn't available on the Caddy
Chestnut Brown Caddy MK4 Maxi Life 2.0Tdi 150bhp , 18” Matt Bronze OZ Ultraleggera’s 8Jx18 ET45 on Bridgestone 225/40/18’s
sgtdazza
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by sgtdazza »

i have gone bi lights great in the dark
anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

Garthy wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:12 pm https://www.autodoc.co.uk/hella/9156979 these come with levelling but still need lots of research
I'm an OEM or OEM+ kinda person, so I would automatically ignore any headlight that isn't a VW product. Some prefer a unique look. Unless you are one of those people, I would use the VW Xenon lights. They will work on your model, once you've done coding changes. See this post for details:

https://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 0641fe04d5
petrev
Hyper Poster

Post by petrev »

Hella make the Xenon headlights for VW to fit in Caddy Mk4.
I have a Hella RH and a VW LH, only difference is the box and the cost.
Difficult (impossible?) to find Hella LH units.

The AutoDoc link is just the OEM LHD unit.
Hella have always misdescribed their units as D3S. They are always D8S.

The leveling motor described is not for auto leveling, just normal manual leveling.
Garthy
Caddy Fan

Post by Garthy »

hi thank you all. I think the bi xenomn is the way to go. is the coding hard?
petrev
Hyper Poster

Post by petrev »

I used OBDEleven and just followed the coding from the how to, no issues.
Garthy
Caddy Fan

Post by Garthy »

found some bright led h4 bulbs and my local mot station says its legal as long as there is no scatter
DW2207
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by DW2207 »

I think you will get an error bulb message with the main beam leds.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk