r32 Possible Swap

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
YellowPablo
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

r32 Possible Swap

Post by YellowPablo »

Hi Everyone :mrgreen:

Im looking into all the options for a good old engine swap.
Im an AWD fanatic, im interested in what it would take to get a caddy there.

Im strung as to what to do after digging online for weeks now.
There are so many options im lost to say the least.
Plus, :( Ringing around today, no one wants to take the work on unless you have 15k plus hanging around in your back pocket. :shock:

I have a full r32 set up if I want it, :?: so I might use this instead of patching something together depending on what feedback I get on here,
but they are thirsty beasts for 250 and its sitting on 115k itself without the chains, etc. being sorted, so it may work out better to get a new lump all together, but having the full set up might save costs dramatically I assume?

So the topic, what is the best engine to swap out for if your looking at around 250 - 300bhp. :roll:

Im wondering what it would take to get the work done and if anyone knows who would be willing to get there hands dirty too. :D
Any info super appreciated!
Ed 8)
6 years of love/hate, a custom spray job soon to be wrapped, lots of grey alcantara and yellow stitching, yellow GTI TT seats, gears, engine, engine toys, exhaust, alloys, 312 brakes, grey lining, black centre light/grab handles, carpets, smoked rear lights, and a horn.
Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Re: r32 Possible Swap

Post by Giddy »

Sounds like you hugely underestimating how much work that is. Thats why projects like that are usually self built. Don't think 15k is that bad, if you just want to drop your van off and collect it all done, cause amount of work and hours involved to do it properly is enormous. Lots of custom fabrication too.

Just a few builds on here

https://www.caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic ... 25#p341140

https://www.caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic ... 13&t=36325

https://www.caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic ... 13&t=39384
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
YellowPablo
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by YellowPablo »

Thanks for the links to the builds! :mrgreen:
6 years of love/hate, a custom spray job soon to be wrapped, lots of grey alcantara and yellow stitching, yellow GTI TT seats, gears, engine, engine toys, exhaust, alloys, 312 brakes, grey lining, black centre light/grab handles, carpets, smoked rear lights, and a horn.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

If I was doing an engine swap for power I wouldn't bother with 250-300 limit, I wouldn't consider that enough of an increase over a decent remapped standard unit.
A worthwhile engine swap for me would be starting at 450.
I'm looking for a decent donar to do a wrx swap myself, gonna call it the caddyru, with bolt ons and a remap I'm going for a nice reliable 500bhp 4 wheel drive.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
mrhutch
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Post by mrhutch »

I also keep going back to the idea of an AWD caddy.. Mine does get used on bridleways and a little field work.

I'm thinking mate a freelander gearbox, prop, VC and rear diff..

Although I'll probably never get round to mocking it up never mind actually doing it!
06 sdi caddy2k :: 81 Transporter T3 :: 2015 Golf 1.4 TSI :: Freelander (sorry)
Herefordshire and all over.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

They did do a 4x4 caddy, maybe just search for one of those if you're not bothered about a power increase. Even one in good mechanical condition could be just as a donor.

Using a freelander diff would still need a transfer box nd front diff wouldn't it?

Must be some terrible golf write offs that are cheap and still have the drive train intact.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
YellowPablo
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by YellowPablo »

So it begins. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YellowPablo
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by YellowPablo »

Stripped down and almost ready for a fresh coat.