Gearstick wont return to Neutral

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Phillstine
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Gearstick wont return to Neutral

Post by Phillstine »

Hello All!

So my Caddy has been stationary all winter, when starting it today I noticed the gear stick no longer puts itself back to neutral . I took off the gaiter and the spring is still in good working condition, I put some grease in to lubricate however it's still not loosened up.

Is there anywhere else that could be a bit seized up that might require lubricating?

Thanks all in advanced.
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Re: Gearstick wont return to Neutral

Post by C Chis »

Could be the other end where the inner cables are exposed just as they leave the outer sheath and connect to the top of the gearbox, not the easiest to get too unless you remove the airbox.
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
Phillstine
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Phillstine »

I think I know where you mean there are some springs attached to the top of the gear selector cables that go into the gearbox. So they need to be lubricated? If so what with?

Thanks
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

That I’m not sure about...

Never had a problem with the lever sticking, only know about the ends as I’ve seen them when I was installing my PTC wiring and battery box.

I would imagine a little WD40 to free them off might work, however you’d probably want to “dry” off the excess afterwards.

Hopefully someone else that’s had the same issue will be able to chip in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
kyle4826
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by kyle4826 »

Hi, have you managed to get this sorted?

If you look at where the cables attache to the box, there is a black plastic thing 😂 it has a little white tab on the end of it.

Basically it's that what is sticking. Be careful pulling that tab off they can be fragile, then pull that black plastic piece out give it a clean up and where it goes through the hole on the gearbox and your laughing 👍
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

White grease to lube, wd40 will attract road muck and jam it up again in a few weeks.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Phillstine
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Phillstine »

Sorry for the delayed response, work has been chaos lately.

So I’ve been out and removed the air box to get a better look at the top of the box. Foolishly didn’t take a picture of my own. But it looks like the shift lever linkage is where the problem lies?

I looked around for the plastic clip mentioned above but not sure I know what I’m looking at!

It’s clearly seized due to lack of use, but lubricating (I used WD40, purely to free it up, if it frees it up I will use lithium grease. No risk of road grime it’s not currently in use)