Interior Lights Stuck On

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Jay_Essex
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Interior Lights Stuck On

Post by Jay_Essex »

Hi, please could anyone be of any help?

My interior lights are stuck on (front and rear) (can be turned off manually) (2010 SDI) they are stuck on when driving and when you lock the van they go off after quite some time.
Does anyone know who has VAGcom in Essex?

Thanks

Jay
Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Re: Interior Lights Stuck On

Post by Giddy »

If you have MFD it should show which door is open. If not, try to clean your sliding door contacts they tend to corrode in this weather. Switch inside the barn door bottom latch is another common failure,

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
Jay_Essex
Caddy Fan

Post by Jay_Essex »

I haven’t got MFD unfortunately... the problem started yesterday morning before we fitted a new sliding door lock, the contact has been unplugged for a while on the side door so I know it’s not that. Could it be the sensor at the bottom of the sliding door (black pointy thing goes into the sensor)? My barn doors do not have a door switch so it probably isn’t that.

Thanks Jay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by Giddy »

Could be that if your Caddy is pre-facelift.
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

My 2010 caddy has a barn door switch, it’s in the bottom of the larger passenger side door, my contacts corroded and caused the light to stay on.

Also my sliding door switch would show the door as open when accelerating, tracked it down to the pin on the sliding door being worn, used a small offcut of rubber pushed into the door switch in the door pillar to fix it until I got another pin.

The actual switch becomes brittle and fails over time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
Jay_Essex
Caddy Fan

Post by Jay_Essex »

Giddy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:22 pm Could be that if your Caddy is pre-facelift.
Yes it is a pre-facelift
Jay_Essex
Caddy Fan

Interior Lights Stuck On

Post by Jay_Essex »

C Chis wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:47 pm My 2010 caddy has a barn door switch, it’s in the bottom of the larger passenger side door, my contacts corroded and caused the light to stay on.

Also my sliding door switch would show the door as open when accelerating, tracked it down to the pin on the sliding door being worn, used a small offcut of rubber pushed into the door switch in the door pillar to fix it until I got another pin.

The actual switch becomes brittle and fails over time.

Thanks for the info, some good pointers. I'm starting to wonder if the interior lights are meant to come on when I open my barn door, they've never come on in the 4yrs I've had the van (switch maybe broken), also I see a post on here about a split brake light lens at the top of the door and water getting in (mine is split).

Please could you tell me if I disconnect the sensor and contact on the sliding door then try locking it to see if the problem goes away, will unplugging take that door out of the equation? Could also try unplugging the barn door lock to see if it eliminates the problem?

Thanks

Jay
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

It might be worthwhile closing all the doors apart from the sliding door and then push in and hold the sliding door switch, and see if your interior lights dim and go out, this can take about 30 seconds. This would let you know if the switch was working but the door not pushing the switch enough.

Next easiest option is to remove the switches (sliding door and rear door) and test them.

2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

Jay_Essex
Caddy Fan

Post by Jay_Essex »

Thanks for the info, your comments made me head into the n/s barn door, just happened to move the loom about a bit and bosh the problem went away. Will find and repair the said cable.

Thanks

Jay
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

Result!

Check the plug and socket on the rear switch as these tend to corrode especially when you've had a cracked rear light as water gets in and settles down at the switch

Jay_Essex
Caddy Fan

Post by Jay_Essex »

Ok thank you Image is the switch located in here? Thanks Jay Image

C Chis
Hyper Poster

Interior Lights Stuck On

Post by C Chis »

Yip

From memory, unplug the plug from inside the door and then 2 bolts to remove the lock mechanism.
Last edited by C Chis on Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jay_Essex
Caddy Fan

Post by Jay_Essex »

Thank you. Is it part of the lock mechanism? Ie: can you buy a new switch separately?

C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

It is part of the mechanism, not sure if the switch is easily replaced, mine just needed cleaned up it worked!

Hopefully someone might be able to advise?

Jay_Essex
Caddy Fan

Post by Jay_Essex »

Ok thank you, mine has never worked in the 4yrs I’ve had the van, to be honest I didn’t even know it had one... probably corroded badly, I shall investigate tomorrow in the light. Thanks again