Micro Camper Daily Driver Build

Show off your caddy
snuffegull
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: Micro Camper Daily Driver Build

Post by snuffegull »

Thats because i have no life right now, i have litterally had one day off this past month :lol:
baddywithacaddy
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by baddywithacaddy »

This is great. Made any further progress? Would love to know a ballpark of how time and money went into the the carpeting, insulation, and soundproofing.
PJD
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by PJD »

baddywithacaddy wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:08 am This is great. Made any further progress? Would love to know a ballpark of how time and money went into the the carpeting, insulation, and soundproofing.

Here are some of the costs. Though total for all the various bits on the whole van is now at £1500. The little things start to add up quickly!
Sound deadening and insulation kit for small vans from Dodomat was £150
Plastic bottle insulation B&Q £22
Carpet and adhesive was £80 local van converters
Windows with one slider fitted £480
Curtains shore vans full set £85

Still have half the sound deadening and insulation kit. Will use some on the floor.

The thing with sound deadening bitumen sheets is that they are heavy. You could cover every piece of metal with the stuff, which some people do but the jury is out on the effectiveness of doing that rather than putting a patch in the middle of the larger panels.

The van is noticeably quieter and a big part of that is covering the holes in the sides that transmit the noise through the panels and the carpet that absorbs the reverberation. At the moment most of the noise is coming from the floor but is only noticeable at speed on the motorway. So be interesting to see what difference a ply floor makes. Not planning on covering the floor with bitumen sheets as it's corrugated and so the sound is already lower frequency but insulation material should absorb much of it with the ply.

Got some electrics and furniture to make next.
Surfndan
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Surfndan »

Thanks for the curtain inspiration! Just checked Shore Vans and they have exactly what I’m looking for
PJD
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by PJD »

In case anyone is wondering you can get a 8' x 4' sheet in a Maxi. Just drive carefully with the sheet next to your head as you drive.

:roll: Image

Card template on the sheet of ply. You can get the whole floor on one sheet if you are happy with the ply in two parts

The time taken doing the card template was worth it. Floor fitted first time.

Note there are a couple of ridges on the floor that stop the ply fitting fully.

I put some crayon on the ridges and placed the floor back down to indicate where to router out the bottom of the ply

I went with 9mm ply. I am aiming to keep the build weight to a reasonable level and 9mm as it turns out seems right with the amount of ridges in the floor and size of van. I'm also cutting the latch points out as they will be used to hold the furniture to the floor.